Saturday 3 April 2010

The battle commences...

The weather was good today and we had no plans for outings... It was a good day to wage war on the brambles at the back of the garden!

Got so much done that the garden waste bin is completely chocker and the wheelbarrow is overflowing with the brambles that wouldn't fit in the bin. The top left corner is almost cleared of the thorny stuff, as well as the overgrown fuchsia, clematis and the evergreen shrub thing that I don't know the name of... one of the ones that grows herring bone style and gets red berries in the winter. Well the roots are still in the ground, but they've had a serious haircut.

Phew! I may not be able to walk later due to back pain, but I am very happy. Got to walk in an area of the garden that hasn't seen human's for the last 5+ years :-)

On a practical note, I can strongly recommend wearing a double layer of fleece to protect yourself from brambles. My arms did not feel one prickle, even better than the gardening gloves I was wearing and they're the best one's I've tried!

It was too dark out by the time I came in, so will have to take some pic's of my progress tomorrow... Can't wait to get a good look at my work :-D

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! I also planted out my onion sets, and sowed some spring onion and radish seeds. All in the left raised bed... Not sure if they will work as they were all left overs from last years feeble attempts at growing stuff. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment