Friday 2 April 2010

I've been sewing :-)

And not with my sewing machine :-)


I've been reading one of the books I ordered from Amazon and decided I should just go ahead and buy the seed. Yes I might end up with an abundance of veg seed that I couldn't grow very well or wasn't fond of the taste of, but it's so much cheaper than the plugs and if the plugs died off that would be very annoying!!


So today we had a trip to the garden centre and I bought some seeds :-) Got broccoli, cauliflower, leek, tomato (outdoor), French bean and some busy lizy and lupin seeds for other areas of the garden. Also got some potted herbs, lavender, rosemary, thyme, sage, marjoram, oregano, lemon balm and lemon verbena. I think DH is already waiting for them to die... I don't have a good track record with potted plants :-S They're now keeping my newly erected mini growhouse company... hopefully it will help break them into our garden... The seeds have been sewn into the propagating trays I bought the other day and are on the dining table for the time being... Think I'll keep them in the house until they germinate and then hopefully gradually move them into the growhouse.


Yesterday I hit the local library and raided the gardening section. Found a book on weeds, I have no idea what most of the stuff growing in our garden is, or how to best get rid of it, so thought it might be useful. It mentions a way to clear a large area of weeds where you clear the surface of weeds, cover it with newspapers/cardboard/old carpet and then spread on a layer of compost. Doing this blocks the light from the weeds and they die off, plus any new weed seeds just lie dormant. This method seems to go well with the book I got about no dig gardening, yes there's a theme here... LAZY gardening!! I will have to do some work though as will have to dig out the plants that are in the area, as well as lots of brambles :-S Apparently, if I'm understanding it properly, I can then put my raised beds straight of top of all this and it will gradually just break down into the soil. Cool!! Time to collect some newspapers!



No comments:

Post a Comment